Friday, February 14, 2014

Easy Homemade Dog Treats

I LOVE my dogs. I mean REALLLY love my dogs! Im such an animal lover. Now I have 3 dogs.... 3 VERY BIG DOGS!! But I would not change that for anything. There is nothing better than coming home and seeing those faces and tails just going crazy. They can fix any bad day!
Recently I have been doing a lot of research on homemade dog treats. I want to be able to give my dogs a long and healthy life. I read the ingredient labels for what is in my food and when I started doing that for my dogs treats I realized most of them were filled with crap! Artificial colors, flavors, dyes, harmful ingredients.
So Yesterday I decided to experiment and make some dog treats for my babies! It was EASY!! AND CHEAP! And they LOVED them!! So this is a no brainer for me... I will be making my own dog treats from now on. Yesterday I made them Bacon and Peanut Butter treats. I had everything in my cupboards already.

Ingredients:
1 Cup natural creamy peanut butter
3/4 Cup nonfat milk
1 Large Egg
2 Cups whole wheat flour
1 TBSP baking powder
1/3 Cup Oats
2-3 strips of bacon, chopped


Directions: Preheat over to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. ( I did not have any parchment paper and the treats were fine. They did not stick or anything).
In a large bowl mix peanut butter, milk and egg together with a large spoon, spatula or whisk. Make sure you get all the lumps out. Add flour and baking powder. You may need to get your hands a little messy here! Get in there and really work the flour in. Mix in the oats and chopped bacon. The dough will be thick and heavy at this point.
Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out. You want to leave it somewhat thick. Cut into shapes using cookie cutters or a knife. Arrange on the baking sheet. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until lightly browned on bottom. Remove and flip the treats and bake for another 10-12 minutes.
Make sure you let the treats cool before giving them to your pups! Store at room temp or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
I used hearts and x's and o's for valentines day! <3
Boomer patiently waiting for those treats to cool
THEY LOVED THEM!!!








For more information on this recipe you can visit this page: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/10/23/homemade-peanut-butter-dog-treats/

3 comments:

  1. I'm certain my dogs would love these do-it-yourself treats! I've had issues with "doggie halitosis" before, and i am pretty certain that parsley helps lots. They sound very easy to create too. many thanks for sharing this direction. BTW, bailey is trying completely adorable! See more at homemade dog treats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im glad to hear that Jess Alicea! My dogs absolutely love these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lately i really busy for our work. we tend to are neglected dog and that i decide to look a piece of writing to assist with our downside. i attempted to browse a diary concerning vets minster and that i found yours. Thank you for sharing this with USA. See more at homemade dog treats

    ReplyDelete